Dear Colony Christmas,
This might be a bit awkward or forward but I need you to know…. I love you. In the darkest part of winter, on the cusp of the crush of the holiday frenzy, you appear. You perfectly transition our town from the beginnings of a new season and Thanksgiving to full-on Christmas cheer.
Palmer undergoes a complete transformation for you. Our fabulous Public Works department spends the few weeks prior making Palmer shine – lights are hung from every eave, shrub, and tree. That gorgeous garland is hung at the four-way stop. And each old-timey light pole on the main drag gets one of those shiny tinsel decorations we’ve all come to know: the candy cane, the snowflake, the tree, the bell.
There’s a moment after all the decor is up and your weekend to shine is coming up quickly when I stand kitty-corner from the Train Depot and I’m filled with awe. Everything stands still and Palmer is suddenly a Norman Rockwell painting. We are timeless and classic. A fresh coat of snow and shoppers bustling about make everything complete. Palmer is ready for you.
The second weekend in December arrives and with it a bevy of excitement and fun. Children run everywhere, reindeer are present, and folks from the “big city” are wide-eyed. And there truly is something for everyone – food, craft bazaars, animals, caroling, kids activities, sleigh rides, a nighttime parade, fireworks, and, of course, Santa Claus.
Palmer is alive with Christmas spirit for these three fun-filled days and it pours over and lasts us through the new year. It’s truly a highlight of the year in our quaint town.
Your presence is a tradition that is ever-evolving as new events take form and the old classics remain steadfast. I love the joy you bring to children and adults alike and look forward to your arrival each year.
A Citizen of Palmer and Lover of Christmas
Top Five Highlights of Colony Christmas:
- Colony Christmas Parade of Lights: This nighttime parade travels down the main street of Palmer, floats twinkling with lights and decor. The parade is immediately followed by an action-packed fireworks display.
- Free Kids Activities – from Christmas cookie decorating to reindeer petting to crafting an ornament for Mom, there’s something for all the children (and children at heart) to enjoy.
- Craft Bazaars – if you haven’t started your Christmas shopping yet, you’ll find everything you need at one of the many bazaars around town. Homemade goods and locally-sourced gifts abound.
- Smoosh Racing – not familiar with the ancient art of Smoosh Racing? Grab three of your friends and compete in this Palmer-centric event while having the time of your life. You have to see it to believe it!
- Local Business Participation – Palmer’s businesses work year-round to maintain our town’s sense of pride. This is even more evident during Colony Christmas. Stores are packed full of cheer and the support of the community. Most participate in the gingerbread house competition and keep them on display for a walking tour of fun. They have goods and food and friendly workers to help you along the way.
About the Author: Sabrena Combs is a born and raised Palmer gal and resides in the heart of downtown with her husband, Dave, and their two young sons, Jackson & Riker. She is a 12+ year Public Relations employee at MEA and formerly served on the Palmer City Council. She is an avid volunteer in the community and a general lover of all things Palmer.